Tip:  hold "shift" and click on link to open in new window
Tree Tree

Pic of Swindon Menu Around Swindon        Art        Business Index        Churches Index        Eat/Drink/Sleep
General Swindon Index        Old Town        Railway Village        Schools/Colleges
Streets & Roads        Town Centre        War Memorials        West Swindon
Pic of Swindon Menu

 Trinity 
Menu:
This Location:   Main Page   
Outside Pages:    Outside
Inside Pages:   Inside    Cradle Roll (1945-1962)    Cradle Roll (1962-66)    Memorials    Roll Of Honour    War Memorial


Button - MAP     Button - INDEX
Search surnames for   this  location or  Swindon  or   all   locations



Trinity Presbyterian, Swindon, Wiltshire



We don't have many photographs of the inside of the church and we are grateful to Central Church for allowing us to use their archive photographs on these pages.  There are other inside rooms not shown here, including a large hall (originally with a with stage), two smaller rooms, a vestry and a kitchen, all of which were on the ground floor with the worship area on the first floor.

When the churches joined together they ran a weekday cafe where all were welcome - this was housed in the back of the worship area where pews were removed and a serving area installed, and was called the Friendship Centre.  Another change was when the gallery was converted into much needed offices - at one time there were six ministers in the team plus office staff.

Before becoming Central Church, there was no platform at the front of the worship area as shown in the photographs below; instead there was a small step up to an area with a table and a wooden structure with stairs up to the pulpit from the sides which was against the wall - or at least that is how Mandy remembers it from when she was about 8 years old!  When the other churches started to meet in this building it was altered to make it more practical for its new congregation and the raised platform was built, which incorporated an immersion pool for adult baptisms.  The baptismal pool had a lid which was covered in blue carpet, in contrast to the red on the platform, which you may see in the first photograph below.

The 1962-66 Cradle Roll was saved by Mandy from being thrown away and it now resides in the County Records Office in Chippenham.

Inside
 | Top  |  Trinity Menu  |
Swindon - photo: 0073
The platform decorated for harvest
Photo No: 0073     Size: 920k
Photo Date: 1980s
Swindon - photo: 0002
The minister taking the service was the late Revd. H. Derryck Evans
Photo No: 0002     Size: 1305k
Photo Date: 4th April 1981
Swindon - photo: 0026
Illuminated Cross.
Given by Agnes Grey in memory of her husband Fred Grey.
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0026     Size: 888k
Swindon - photo: 0048
The Pulpit used by Central Church
Originally from Church of Christ in memory of
Herbert Mant
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0048     Size: 1196k
Swindon - photo: 0027
The Communion table in memory of Brother W. Price.
Enclosing skirting in memory of Herbert Ponting (added by
Arnold Hunt).
Table came from the Church of Christ and used by Central Church.
Later used at URC Cricklade.
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0027     Size: 1499k
Swindon - photo: 0047
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0047     Size: 900k
Swindon - photo: 0045
Bookstand in memory of
Mrs Alice Chew.
Came from Methodist Central Hall, used by Central Church.
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0045     Size: 520k
Swindon - photo: 0034
Lectern.
From Church of Christ, used by Central Church.  It later went to the URC Church in Penhill.
Carved from oak by church member Norman Parker.
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0034     Size: 1348k
Photo Date: 1989
Swindon - photo: 0049
Bible
In memory of Ken Franklin.
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0049     Size: 352k
Swindon - photo: 0044
Offering plate in memory of
Fred Wild.
Given by Marjorie & Jim Wild.
Came from the Baptist Tabernacle church and used by Central Church.
Photo No: 0044     Size: 1664k
Photo Date: July 2011
Swindon - photo: 0074
A flower festival approximately in the mid 1980s. Duncan's mother was one of the flower arrangers (which is why we took these photographs)
Photo No: 0074     Size: 999k
Photo Date: 1980s
Swindon - photo: 0075
This photo shows the gallery - no longer used by the congregation but now an office space
Photo No: 0075     Size: 946k
Photo Date: 1980s
Swindon - photo: 0028
The organ pipes
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0028     Size: 1664k
Swindon - photo: 0021
The organ keyboard
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0021     Size: 1176k
Swindon - photo: 0035
The organ in its new home in Barbados.
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0035     Size: 994k
Swindon - photo: 0031
Roll of Honour and War Memorial
More photographs
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0031     Size: 796k
Swindon - photo: 0019
Memorial to Robert Monteith Brown
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0019     Size: 1483k
Swindon - photo: 0020
Memorial to Robert Drummond
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0020     Size: 1098k
Swindon - photo: 0017
Cradle Roll
1945-1962
Transcription
Please note: the Cradle Roll is damaged in places and not all names can be read
Photo No: 0017     Size: 1248k
Photo Date: July 2010
Swindon - photo: 0018
Designed by Cicely Mary Barker
Photo No: 0018     Size: 404k
Photo Date: July 2010
Swindon - photo: 0005
Cradle Roll
1962-1966
Transcription
Photo No: 0005     Size: 704k
Photo Date: July 2009
Swindon - photo: 0036
The St. Andrew's Scout Flag.
Taken to France by Revd John H. Gavin in the first world war and used in Flanders as an altar cloth until his return in 1917.
It was hung next to the organ in Trinity from 1917 until 1985, when it was given to the Scout House in Swindon.
We understand the flag has since been lost.
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0036     Size: 1317k
Swindon - photo: 0033
A section of the windows in the worship area
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0033     Size: 128k
Photo Date: 1989
Swindon - photo: 0025
Mrs Enid Townsend in her office (the converted gallery).
Enid was the part-time Office
Co-ordinator during the Management Pilot Scheme.
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0025     Size: 1168k
Photo Date: 1989
Swindon - photo: 0022
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0022     Size: 1577k
Photo Date: 1989
Swindon - photo: 0023
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0023     Size: 1377k
Photo Date: 1989
Swindon - photo: 0024
Photo:  Central Church Archives
Photo No: 0024     Size: 1176k
Photo Date: 1989

Search surnames for   this  location or  Swindon  or   all   locations




Tip:  hold "shift" and click on link to open in new window
This page was last updated on 11/06/2017 19:15:52
© Copyright D & M Ball 1999-2017
Website by  oodwooc logo