Whilst trying to find the parish church at Draycot Cerne, we came across this small chapel just outside Draycot Cerne village. We have been informed it is Draycot Cerne Mortuary Chapel, built in 1883 by Lord Cowley. It is no longer used for worship and is run by the Churches Conservation Trust.
We have been to this Chapel a few times and each time the grounds have always looked smart and well cared for. On our last visit (2008) we could see changes have occured over the years and, whilst still well cared for, concern is now given to the wildlife of the churchard. As our countryside dwindles to make way for housing estates with gardens using harmful substances to keep away 'pests', churchyards have increasingly become a haven to our wildlife. Some of the uncut areas may perhaps look untidy to our eye, but they are just bursting with many types of plants, and insects are abundant.