he church of St. Katharine is located in the ancient Savernake Forest, close to Marlborough in Wiltshire. By comparison to other churches we visit, St. Katharine's is fairly new. The foundation stone was laid in 1860 but a notice inside states the church was reconstructed in 1952 after it was damaged by an explosion in Savernake Forest during the second world war.
Inside it is peaceful and, like the church members we met there, very welcoming. There are many attractive features, but especially noticeable was the proportion of the chancel. Usually narrow, this one is wide and curved with beautiful stained glass windows.
St. Katharine's church has it's own website
which is has lots of information about itself, including a history of the building.
The church of St. Katharine is a Grade II* listed building - more information about the listing can be found at the Historic England
More information about Savernake can be found at the Wiltshire Community History